Tuesday, January 05, 2021

Learning this Korean

[Part 4 of a series on the experience we had as foster parents.]
 

8 May 1997

We are well-pleased with our little Korean girl so far. She is unbelievably cheerful. She giggles at the slightest provocation. This morning her corn dog (yes, for breakfast - Koreans don't have any breakfast foods; they eat the same foods for all meals) anyway, her corn dog exploded in the microwave. She laughed and giggled the whole way through eating what was left of it. Now she has taken my broom outside and is sweeping off the porch where we cleaned the bird cage this morning. I would have left it there for the rain and birds to take it away. 

The doctors' visits yesterday were encouraging. They each found nothing of concern aside from the obvious heart difficulties, so the surgery can be scheduled promptly. Both the dentist and the pediatrician said that this is none too soon for her. 

Garry and I watcher her try to play outside with Nicole and Amanda. We realized how many times her parents must have done the same, with an ache over her inability to keep up. She tires out just walking to the mailbox and back with me, and must sit on the couch huffing for several minutes. But she doesn't whine or complain, just does what she must. She brings me her hands periodically and wants me to rub them, helping the circulation. They get so cold and swollen! It must hurt. 

One surprise yesterday was the discovery of large scars on her chest and back, down one side, indicating a previous surgery. Later I will probably find out what that was. I actually feel somewhat better, in that we are not receiving a perfect-looking little body and returning a scarred one. Her parents have been through this already. 

I have learned five new Korean words. I already knew that "on-yong" was hello and I can count to seven - hahna, duel, seth, ned, dahseth, yahseth, illgo. Yesterday I learned these:

    ooma - mom

    abba - dad

    mool - water

    ahnee - no, not

    yogi - here, there

    harmony - grandmother

    hangool - Korea

Amanda got citizen of the month yesterday! That is a big reward for her change in attitude this year at school. 

Nicole is on a bit of a down-swing right now. Possible explanations are hormones, illness, or the "last performance is over" blues. She did extremely well in her three parts in the last school performance on Friday and received many adult accolades this week. Another possibility is some angst over Kyung-Yeon. 

Garry needs another root canal. The next opening is in June. 

God is blessing and we are enjoying the benefits. Healing the Children wants to send me to Korea with Kyung-Yeon when she goes home. But the timing could be at the same time as my Grandma's 90th birthday, and I won't miss that for Korea. We will see how God works it all out. 

No comments: